Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Winnepeg, MB- Fort Frances, ON


Back to the roots!

I had a bit of a "color-Oops" dying my hair myself on our trip, wanting to safe money.
The supposed "honey-blonde" turned into something more whitish...
Too whitish for my liking....
Oh well, this has to wait for Ontario to be fixed! :)


We left Winnipeg
(check out The Mint in the sun)







And just as we were about to continue to Ontario, I remembered this place near 
Blumenfeld somewhere.... 

"The Mennonite Heritage Museum"

Steve's roots are Mennonite
and I knew 
that
he always wanted to check it out.

"Well, we are pretty close by, so we should go", I said to him.

He was not too certain,
as we knew we would not able to leave the pets in the car for too long
especially Chatchi, the Superbird...
who might turn into a bird-sicle given the plunging outside temps.

However, we turned off towards Blumenfeld...









And found the place in Steinbach







Because it had snowed so much, it was not really open, 
but Mennonites, 
being the friendly people they are,
let us in anyway :)






A village imitating the olden days





















Inside the old church:






Then there was the monument of 

Jakob Hoeppner
one of the Mennonite fore-fathers:



















Yes, these two are related:








































Jakob's Bible









Photographs from days past



















German and Mennonite food is very similar
as some of their roots are German:











Pharmacy









Steve told me that seeing these hangers brought back memories, so I took a pic.
Maybe somebody else feels the same way?








The batteries in my camera died about 7 minutes into our outdoor village experience...

Yes, you have no idea, just HOW cold it was!

Back at the car we found our bird and dog alive and well, 
but even more lively after we cranked up the heat real good.

On the road again. 
Almost there.

Where?







Ontario!

Yeah, we made it :)
-only a few more days to cross this vast province-


















So we keep going and thoroughly enjoy this part of our journey: 
forests and lakes all around















































































Then at the end of the day a real treat:

Two wolves in the middle of a frozen lake- 
(too bad we were driving and I could not get closer)

Loved it!!






Staying at Fort Frances for the night!

Sleep tight!

No comments: