Pompeii
I must admit I did not know much about Pompeii except the little bit I had learned in Latin class:
That is was surprised by the breakout of the Vulcano Vesuvius and it's people unprepared.
I had somehow this preconceived notion that we would see a few streets and houses and a few small items, well preserved and then after,
let's say two hours,
go home and have some vino.
Well, was I ever wrong:
Let's just say I was glad to wear my hiking sandals and have food and water on hand.
Pompeii has been restored and covers and area of
about 12 square km (5 square miles)!
We walked and hiked, explored, and "oh'd and ah'd" in the dust and heat ...
We were impressed how well paintings and buildings had been preserved
and the sheer size and architecture of them..
It boggled my mind that this all were buildings and paintings (!) from around AD 79:
I had somehow this preconceived notion that we would see a few streets and houses and a few small items, well preserved and then after,
let's say two hours,
go home and have some vino.
Well, was I ever wrong:
Let's just say I was glad to wear my hiking sandals and have food and water on hand.
Pompeii has been restored and covers and area of
about 12 square km (5 square miles)!
We walked and hiked, explored, and "oh'd and ah'd" in the dust and heat ...
We were impressed how well paintings and buildings had been preserved
and the sheer size and architecture of them..
It boggled my mind that this all were buildings and paintings (!) from around AD 79:
This was actually a roman bath with a "roof window" .
How sophisticated is that??
This gives the 'antique, claw-foot massage table' a whole new meaning:
Steps into the pool- still as good as new
Theses rascals on the other hand were of a newer generation.... :)
Intricate mosaic work
And wall paintings
The "layers" of wall surprised us:
And the streets:
They had a special atmosphere and you could almost
hear the horse-hoofs and wooden wagon-wheels
coming down the cobble stones
Take note of sidewalks and slope for better drainage (Hello!)
A typical atrium-
inner garden with the house build around it
The paintings surprised me being so well preserved in detail and color...
More than once did I wonder:
How the heck did they build houses like this back then??
And here is the most famous mosaic
laid in an entry way visible and warning the attempting visitor:
"Cave Canem"
"Cave Canem"
"watch out for the dog"
How about going out for a bite to eat ?
Apparently "fast food" was already an option back then...
Food was kept warm in these "holes"
"ancient food bars, so to speak"
"ancient food bars, so to speak"
Ancient counter-tops...quite nice, I'd say!
A horrific moment frozen in time
Pompeii definitely surprised us on many levels and we would highly recommend it to anyone!








































No comments:
Post a Comment